A man is pronounced dead, and a woman in critical condition, after a house fire on August 30 in the Cedar Glen community. The victim’s two children, ages 6 and 8, were pulled from a second floor bedroom window and are being treated for smoke inhalation according to St. Mary’s Hospital spokeswoman, Janice Robinson.
The fire broke out on the 200 block of Elm Street at approximately 2:45 a.m. according to Deputy Fire Marshal Larry Johnson. A neighbor smelled the smoke and called 911 after seeing flames through their window. Firefighters were on the scene within minutes and able to control the flames.
Firefighters rescued the children from a bedroom near the front of the home using a ladder. The two adults, located in the rear of the home, took longer to locate. The name of the victims cannot be released at this time, but Johnson said the fire appeared to start when a lit cigarette ignited bedsheets in one of the bedrooms. There was minor damage caused to adjoining houses and no one else is reported injured at this time.